Cat Cafe Redemption! >^..^<

In which I find in Beijing what I could not in Hangzhou: a cat cafe that fulfills all my hopes and dreams~

With my new work schedule I get Saturday afternoon/evening and all of Sunday off.  This doesn’t match up with the schedules of the other Au Pairs in Beijing (and there are lots), but it does allow me to make and hang out with Chinese and Expat friends outside of Lopair.

One thing I was looking forward to in Beijing was finally meeting my other Chinese penpal, Kate.  She goes to college in Beijing and we Skyped several times before I came to China.  My first week in Beijing I met Kate and some of her friends downtown to go to a language exchange meeting, and the second weekend the two of us decided to go to a cat cafe together!

The cafe that Kate recommended is in 南锣鼓巷, a very Asheville-esque shopping district with numerous winding streets lined with crafty souvenir and clothes shops, tons of food stands, cafes, and restaurants.  Really I just wanted to spend all my money right then, but I limited myself to a postcard, an envelope, a lot of window shopping, and “exploding chicken” (fried chicken filled with cheese!) for lunch.

img_20160911_141004_hdr

One of the busier streets

A pig made out of blown sugar.  I don't think I could eat something so pretty!

A pig made out of blown sugar. I don’t think I could eat something so pretty!

A simple notebook printed as an old-style Chinese math book.  One of the many things I resisted buying.

A simple notebook printed as an old-style Chinese math book. One of the many things I resisted buying.

After lunch we headed to the cat cafe which was located down one of the emptier side streets.  Such a cute place!  There were tons of cats, but most of them were napping.  They didn’t mind being petted though.

猫Lady (Cat Lady) cat cafe.  The cat out front has definitely been hired to lure in customers.

喵Lady cat cafe. The cat out front has definitely been hired to lure in customers.

Cat cafe success!

Cat cafe success!

Our over-priced drinks that do at least come with cats included.

Such a cool seating area upstairs!  Bar-style cat access.

Such a cool seating area upstairs! Bar-style cat access.

Kate and her favorite cat.  Almost all the cats were sleeping but they didn't mind being petted anyway.

Kate and her favorite cat.

Cat in the corner by the stairwell.  Is that a comfortable place to sleep...?

Cat in the corner by the stairwell. Is that a comfortable place to sleep…?

This cat sat with its back to us, unmoving, except when it occasionally turned around and gave us this dirty look.  haha

This cat sat with its back to us, unmoving, except when it occasionally turned around and gave us this dirty look. haha

893448952484679956

After petting every cat in the cat cafe and starting to feel sleep around so many sleepy cats, we went out again, this time to 后海, a nice lake nearby lined with music bars.

Such a wonderful day to be at the lake!

Such a wonderful day to be at the lake!

They literally had a drum circle.  Didn't I say it felt like Asheville?

They literally had a drum circle. Didn’t I say it felt like Asheville?

After a walk around the lake it was time for Kate to head back to school and me to head home.  I’m so glad I got to not just find a cat cafe, but also spend the day with Kate and see a new and awesome part of the city.

As we were leaving we spotted another cat cafe and that can only mean one thing: we have to go back!